- Assemblyman Isadore Hall III says that our water reserves are low (CBS LA)
- County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announces program to help victims of sex trafficking debuting in Compton
- County Supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas posts a video about Willowbrook (Supervisor Website)
- Compton-raised muralist Richard Wyatt has murals mapped, none in Compton (Curbed LA)
- Suge Knight explains a fight he had at a pot shop, calls Kendrick Lamar, The Game, slaves (Allhiphiop.com) (Allhiphop.com)
It's been 6 months here in Compton.
No news is the best news.
I've continued running my route; I can't believe how slow I still am. I haven't biked so much in the last two weeks, so nothing to report about biking.
As of late, my fiance and I have been focused on wedding planning. When we've had free time, we've spent it with friends or with each other from outside the boundaries.
Were in Gardena taking in the Asian bakeries, the boba, the pho, the Asian dollar store. At least I have. For groceries, we still alternate between the 99 Cents store, Food4Less, and Trader Joes. As far as eating goes, I'm tempted to try a Tam's burgers one time though.
We've gone to the church that is technically in West Rancho Dominguez Hills in the middle of black history month, which means FREE breakfast.
We've played tennis one time, though we went all the way to Gardena for a court. Yes in the home of Venus and Serena Williams, we have to go out of the city bounds for a damn tennis court. We could've gone to Tragniew Park for tennis, but plastered in front of the entrances is a sign saying "PERMIT REQUIRED." I suddenly understand the comment made in Spanish from Google, "We want the tennis courts open!"
All in all, everything's been swimming along.
The Dissertations and Theses of Compton
As a budding researcher with many interests, many a time I've utilized the ProQuest Search Engine in search of dissertations/theses related to anything about Long Beach, Cambodians, gangs, etc. etc.
This time I was in search of academic dissertations/theses in "compton, california."
Dissertations and theses? Dissertations and theses because this is people's culminating work. Unproven people's culminating work. Unproven academic people's culminating work trying to make themselves "proven."
From that search I've received two types of dissertations/theses as far as I can tell: 1) Dissertations/theses about Compton or parts of Compton itself 2) Dissertations/theses that take place in Compton.
I'm far more interested in the first category, however, I think the second category can catalyze interesting discussion as well.
Here's a sampling of the Dissertations/theses that take place in Compton, the second category:
- Canett-Bailes, Loretta M. A Quantitative/Qualitative Analysis of Student Achievement among Latino Immigrant Students with a General Education Diploma and United States-born Hispanic Students with a High School Diploma at Compton Community College in Los Angeles County, CA. 2004.
- Vega, William. The educational problems of American-Samoan migrant students at Compton Community College. 1989.
- Cheanphun, Annie. Autism's family: What it takes to raise and educate an autistic child. 2008.
- Alvarez, Enelinda. Dropout prevention program for African American and Latino youth in Compton: A grant proposal project. 2010.
- Phillips, Marjerita. Dancing in the spirit: A choreographic project for the students from Compton Community College and the Kollege for Kids Outreach Dance Program. 1997.
- Sammons, Laura Gordon. Building shared vision: Lifelong learning in dance education. 1997.
- Arevalo, Edith. A career development program for pregnant and parenting teenagers: A grant proposal. 2013.
- Castaneda, Mirella. A school-based prevention and intervention program for pregnant and parenting teens: A grant proposal. 2011.
- Kiester, Jack A. A resource field trip guidebook for the Robert F. Kennedy School, Compton, California. 1972.
- Lockhart, Shawnta. Teenage pregnancy prevention through peer education: A grant proposal project. 2007.
- Ojinna, Leah N. An after school program for students with Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder: A grant proposal. 2008.
- Asobiereonwu, Chineye Staffod Shadrach. Why is there so much absenteeism among elementary school Latino students?. 2003.
- Widener, Daniel. Something else: Creative community and black liberation in postwar Los Angeles. 2003.
- Houston, Sharnee Deshawn. Kinship care vs. traditional foster care: Perceptions of chemically dependent African American mothers. 1998.
- Davis, Bettye Ann. Orff-Schulwerk: A new sociological approach in classrooms of the Compton City Schools Compton, California, 1966--1970. 1971.
- De Alba, Irene Torres. Visitation enhancement program for parents seeking to reunify with their children: A grant writing project. 2011.
- Flores, Glenda Marisol. Latina teachers in Los Angeles: Navigating race/ethnic and class boundaries in multiracial schools. 2011.
- Baslee, Michael Melvin. Perceptions of Black male teachers toward employee assistance program utilization. 2007.
- Boykin, Marlene T. Social services and case management for homeless women 50 plus: A grant proposal project. 2006.
- Bermeo, Melissa Jeane. Definitions and perceptions of child sexual abuse among African American and immigrant and non-immigrant Latina women. 2001.
- Williams, Erin Ricard. Money Talk. 2008.
- Stahly, Darci. Funding community-based foster youth substance abuse program (Project Safe): A grant proposal project. 2008.
- Gutierrez, Griselda. Enhancing family outcomes: The use of post-item decision-making reviews. 2011.
- Comminey, Monique K. What is the African American communities' experience in the public Child Welfare System in the United States? A secondary data analysis of the NSCAW study. 2007.
- Mendez-Aviles. Awareness about bullying among foster children and learning how to respond to it: A grant proposal. 2013.
A sampling of the Dissertations/theses about Compton or parts of Compton, the first category:
- Straus, Emily. The Making of the American School Crisis: Compton, CA, and the Death of the Suburban Dream. 2006. The most comprehensive history of Compton's home ownership and school district history. Argues that residents of Compton should have kept an industrial tax base to prop up town revenues. Uncovers how white folks in power worked to keep blacks out of schools and neighborhoods, the rapid flight of whites. Notes West Compton as the area where blacks could initially buy houses.
- Widaatalla, Ahmed Moahmmed. Effect of Racial Change on the Tax Base of the City of Compton. 1970. Ignore the use of "Negro" and in this dissertation you find an interesting history of Compton's demographic shift from the 1950s to the 1960s. This study highlights a lot of the problems that existed back then still are present today. Finds that with white flight came declining revenues in businesses and suggests that black small businesses can't compete with big chain retail stores. Given that we are more connected today via internet infrastructures coughYelp.comcough, it makes me wonder if instead of the big chain stores that are sort of the center of town, we can make small business joints ala Bludsoe's, the new destination points.
- Lozier, Francis Vladimir. Black Male Students' Perceptions of Effective Teachers: A Qualitative Study of Compton Middle Schools. 2013. Finds that students see effective teachers in the same way as principals. Students note name explaining, humor, high expectations, fairness as traits of good teachers. Author notes that teachers need to have cultural understanding of students.
- Oceguda, Rosa M. Community development project for the City of Compton. 2013. Did not get a chance to read, but according to the abstract, it identifies resources for the homeless in Compton.
- Dowell, Ron L. Key Performance Indicators for the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department in the City of Compton. 2005. Discusses
- Curry, Keith Charles. The DeAccreditation of Compton Community College: an Interpretation through the Kubler-Ross Construct. 2011. Great summary of history on Compton Community College. Found that employees of the old Compton Community College experienced all of
denial, anger, bargaining depression, and acceptance when the college closed.
- Taylor, Eugene. A Study of the Diversity of Home Ownership in Compton, CA. 2010. Discusses the home ownership gap.
- An Exploratory Study: A Social Services Need Assessment: Black Elderly in Compton, California.
- Martin, Kathleen Luke. State takeover of the Compton Unified School District (impact on curriculum, professionalism, and leadership styles)
- Porter, Aldabert Daloss. The Image of Compton College as Perceived by the High School Seniors of the Local High Schools in Compton College District. 1971.
- Aumack, Gordon. A Twenty Year Study of the Success after Transfer of Compton Junior College Students. 1953.